The original Ping was painfully written in Perl.

August 10th, 2005

Words and Images

Sorry about the downtime, folks – we were conducting scientific research on Ping withdrawal.

It’s kind of funny how our brains work. Ultimately we’re not really sure, and funny things happen. Take for instance, the association of images with words.

I’m not talking about, say, “Ryan” conjuring up a picture of Ryan in your head. No. My classic example is this: ever since a little kid I’ve had an image for the word “mild” in my head, and it comes up any time said word is mentioned or typed. That picture is of an older cowboy with a mustache sitting in a small old-tyme saloon-ish room, sitting on a few big blocks of cheese, eating some cheese. It’s mild cheese.

Where did that come from? I don’t know. But it’s there, and always will be there. Do you have any word/image associations that are left of center like this?

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Wednesday August 10, 2005 -- 2:43:52 pm
That's gotta be from a Sesame Street sketch (or something similar). And if it doesn't, it should.

DATE: Wednesday August 10, 2005 -- 5:28:23 pm
If it is, that'd make me feel a whole lot better.

FROM: Monica
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 12:01:09 am
is mild cheese string cheese? because that's what I picture as mild cheese.

FROM: Zack
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 5:01:53 am
Ooh, and the cowboy's name is Mild Bill Hikock! :P

FROM: James [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 6:54:27 am
The words rubber band and band aid are ones I get mixed up. When I look at a rubber band I first think of band aid and when I look at a band aid I think of rubber band. I've got some wires crossed, I know.

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 9:20:31 am
Thanks Paul, now I have it too.

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 9:26:50 am
Ooh, and the cowboy's name is Mild Bill Hikock!

Very nice!

FROM: Merle [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 12:02:58 pm
My word/image associations are more based on the placement of words and phrases in a book.

This was most irritating in high school. I could never remember what year something happened, or who did it, but I could tell you that it was the next to the last paragraph on the left hand page about 1/3 of the way through the book.

It did make looking things up easier. But it was frustrating that my brain decided to store the location of a phrase rather than the phrase itself... as if I were a huge index...

FROM: aharris
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 4:17:22 pm
The words rubber band and band aid are ones I get mixed up.

A friend of mine from back east always mixes up "hot dog" and "donut." Back in college he'd be like: "Mmm I love Fridays, there are always free hot dogs in the lounge." I always thought it was weird that they had hot dogs for breakfast.

...I'll let you draw your own phallic conclusions.

FROM: Jeani
DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 6:54:32 pm
Do you really not remember where that image comes from? It was a public service cartoon commercial in the Chicago area in the '80s, targeted to get kids to eat "healthy" snacks like cheese and crackers. The cowboy sings a song about "hankerin' for a hunka cheese."

DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:39:00 pm
Paul got served!

(I remember that ad, too, Jeani, but not the specifics...)

DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:39:42 pm
That's not Timer. Although I do hanker for a hunka cheese when I think of Mild Cowboy....

DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:40:16 pm
Wow, Ryan, just 42 seconds apart on the comments - nice job. But you're still wrong. (The cowboy wasn't animated.)

DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:42:14 pm
And lookit that...

DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:45:55 pm
My mind is spinning.

DATE: Thursday August 18, 2005 -- 9:00:36 am
That's still a great commercial.

If I could photograph the Mild Cowboy, I would. Maybe I will, someday. But there's nothing in the Timer spot that makes me say, "Aw yeah - that's it!"

FROM: joe
DATE: Tuesday December 13, 2005 -- 10:33:51 am
When my get up and go has got up and went,

I hanker for a hunk of cheese!

When I'm dancin' the hoedown and my boots kinda slow down,

Or anytime I'm week in the knees,

I hanker for a hunk of,

A slab, a slice, a chunk of,

A snack that is a winner,

And yet won't spoil my dinner!

I hanker for a hunk of cheese! Ya-hoo!