Apple did not consult with us when they named Ping, Ping.

August 11th, 2005

Road Food

Aside from listening to music and talking, the one other thing that helps keep me sane while driving is eating and drinking. Usually it’s a big steak and a 40, but sometimes I like to eat pretzels, crackers, chips, fruit, or nuts and drink coffee, soda, or iced tea. The noise made while eating crunchy foodstuffs helps to keep you awake and if you drink enough, you’ll be forced to stop and stretch your legs while you answer nature’s call.

What are your favorite foods and beverages to drink on a long trip to help keep you awake (or, just occupied)?

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 9:31:59 am
Ah, crud.

Before anyone else says it: duplicate Ping!

FROM: Bougah
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 10:19:15 am
Isn't that kind of dangerous? THat is, to be eating while you drive?

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 10:27:44 am
Does that even things up in the dupe Ping game, or am I still ahead by one?

FROM: Deeporg [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 11:35:34 am
I like to drink that Arizona Ginseng Plum Green Tea on the road alot. It tends to help with keeping my anxiety down. Sometimes I get bad anxiety and or road rage with the traffic here in Houston and I've come to find that only the plum drink is my natural anti-anxiety agent. Weird huh?

FROM: Aanen
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 11:44:18 am
Sandwiches and those box drinks you used to have in your lunch back in elementary school.

When i travel by myself, I keep the windows open and turn on the CB radio (for long distance trips).

FROM: Sammy Reed
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 12:12:09 pm
"A big steak and a 40"? What's a 40?

FROM: Rafael
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 12:36:18 pm
I have taken long trip s but never drove on any of them. I have taken the train or the bus. I usually like to pack seedless grapes or any type of fruit that has no seeds and at lots of Diet Pepsi and we can not forget the music, oh yea, don’t forget to crank it up!

FROM: COD [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 1:08:59 pm
Diet Mountain Dew - for the maximum caffeine per fluid ounce factor. Animal crackers or some other low salt / low fat snack helps absorb the Dew and minimize bio breaks.

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 1:13:17 pm
40 pz. beer. I assume Paul was joking rather than promoting drinking and driving.

I don't eat at all, nor do I drink anything but water or coffee, if I need a jolt, on long trips, longer than eight hours driving. That's the only way to keep from getting constipated. Plus, on really long trips, food makes me sleepy. I like to drain myself only when the car needs a fill.

I do drive with the windows down and blast the stereo until nighttime. It takes so much more concentration to drive at night that I have to turn the radio down or off and also I dim the dash lights way down.

I haven't done a really long trip like that in a long time--I used to drive twice a year from Cleveland, OH to New Orleans, LA straight through when I was in college. That old Renault Alliance and me became one during those trips. 1,072 miles in 14-1/3 to 16-1/2 hours, depending on which way the wind was blowing, and $35 to $45 in gas. I must have driven that circuit in that car twenty times including all the trips after college and never ate a single chip, cookie, ding dong, twinkie or anything. Of course, I did smoke cigarettes in those days and nicotine is a powerful stimulant. Now that I don't smoke, I'll have to see if I can still do the trip without food or if I'll need some sugar or something. But I fly now, so it probably won't happen.

Plus, eating chips makes the steering wheel greasy. You can always tell the guy who drives a long trip eating chips because of the long grease stains on the thighs of his pants.

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 1:22:25 pm

'Twas me (can't you tell us apart yet, Joseph? Shame!) and yes, I was very much joking about that as well as the big steak.

FROM: Deeporg [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 3:44:19 pm
LOL! Steak + Driving.. Good combo.

FROM: snaily
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 5:30:57 pm
yeah, isnt that somewhat dangerous? what if u choke?

DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 10:15:30 pm
You had me at the steak.....you don't eat meat, my friend.

I do like to eat at Cracker Barrel while on the road. I usually keep granola bars in the car and try not to eat anything that I will spill or drip or end up sitting on. About the only time I eat fast food fries would be in my car....no ketchup of course. And bottled water. No excitement here!

I am driving three hours up into the mountains this weekend; maybe I will have a brainstorm about this topic then.

How about dipping pretzels into cake frosting? Mmmm, salty and sweet....

FROM: heather
DATE: Friday August 12, 2005 -- 10:17:36 am
me - swedish fish or granola bars, husband- beef jerky

FROM: Trizzay
DATE: Tuesday August 16, 2005 -- 4:44:56 am
I like eating Pho while driving. Although it takes alot of concentration to break up the slices of meat so that they cook properly in the broth, tear up the silantro and basil leaves, stir in the bean sprouts, squirt in the hoisin and chili sauces along with a lemon wedge.
It's good practice if you do it while also talking on the phone and changing CD's. My manual dexterity is through the roof, although there IS a downside what with all the collisions and scaldings :(

FROM: Trizzay
DATE: Tuesday August 16, 2005 -- 4:45:38 am
Oop...I meant "cilantro". I'm tired.

DATE: Tuesday August 16, 2005 -- 8:07:39 pm
Darn dim green picture!!

I think it's because Paul has been more sarcastic than usual of late, so I saw the 40 comment and ASS-U-ME'd.

Okay, I admit it. I just assumed for unknown reasons that Paul authored this Ping. It had nothing to do with sarcasm, since you both show a healthy amount of it.

Darn. I'm embarrassed.