Somehow, Ryan has written over 1 million Pings; Paul, just 60.

January 16th, 2006

NBC’s Lame-O Radio Ads

Every now and then when I listen to the radio, I hear ads. You might remember ads… they’re trying to sell things. One particular series of ads that just gets on my nerves is a series for NBC.

The radio ads feature 3 or 4 people in their mid- to late-20s (undoubtedly refered to as “young” and “hip” in the marketing plan) talking about those great NBC shows. There’s just one problem with the ads: no one actually talks like these people. For instance, when NBC moved My Name is Earl and The Office to Thursday night (heralded by NBC as the coming of the savior of your choice), the radio ad included one of the people saying:

“Yeah… uh…um… it’s like Must See TV is back!”

To which another person said, “Yes, Must See TV! It is back!” Come on. The people then talked about the shows (“Steve Carell… he is funny.“) and were just trying to be like my best buds a little too much.

But the kicker came when I heard one promoting this week’s Saturday Night Live. This was the first new episode since The Chronicles of Narnia Rap swept the web. But that was almost a month ago. So what did the commercial focus on? You got it.

The whole thing was about the rap, how funny it was (“It’s the funniest thing that they’ve done in years!” was even said – sounds familiar…) and “Chronic – what?” was said about 30 times. And listen, it was funny. Last month. But now it’s over. And to have a radio ad talking about that now sums up just how clueless NBC’s marketing department is.

And they said “Four Kings” was “hilarious”, too.

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

DATE: Monday January 16, 2006 -- 9:35:26 am
Those are the ones that are made to sound like a talk show, right? God those are annoying. I want to stab each and every person in the commercial in the eye with a chopstick.

DATE: Monday January 16, 2006 -- 10:41:10 am
I thought they were supposed to be more "hangin' with your buds" than "talk show"... but I can see how they could be taken that way. They still stink.

Hey, have you heard Must See TV is back? OMG!

FROM: Aanen
DATE: Monday January 16, 2006 -- 11:22:02 am
It's seems like for every song they play on the radio, there are about 10 commecricals that pay for it. Screw commercial radio, I'm going to NPR!

FROM: Steve A.
DATE: Monday January 16, 2006 -- 11:54:18 am
I agree with Paul, I believe they are made to think you're overhearing some friends talking about what they're going to watch. Pretty lame, eh?

The only thing I can think that's worse than that is the ever popular, "We play more music." Then they cut to an advertisement. Gimme a break. I KNOW an ad's NOT music!

Auch well, I spend time between NPR and 'standard' radio anyway. And it's NOT like they are going to convince me to watch something I wouldn't watch anyway.

Ciao,

DATE: Tuesday January 17, 2006 -- 9:52:04 am
It's amazing how many people really do respond to ads like that. Lots of naive people think that NBC just stuck a microphone somewhere where "young" and "hip" people were talking about TV. They want to be "young" and "hip" too, so they watch too. I'm constantly amazed at how gullible some people are. I can't decide who bothers me more, NBC marketers or the gullible people who respond to that marketing.

"Yeah... uh...um... it's like Must See TV is crap!"

"Yes, Must See TV! It is crap!"

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 20, 2006 -- 4:31:39 pm
Glad to see I'm not the only one with contempt for these ads. Can you picture being in the marketing meeting where this campaign was approved? Talk about being out of touch with your target market. While "My Name is Earl" and the "Office" are good enough to hype, I can't see anyone who gets the humor of "Office" thinking in any way that these ads are "hip". It's a wonder that any good shows make it to television with the bozo's in charge of networks.

FROM: Scott
DATE: Friday March 10, 2006 -- 1:02:34 pm
I must say that those NBC ads on the radio are by far, the all-time worst radio ads in history. Every time they come on I almost cause an accident lunging at the radio in my car to change the station before I hear one more 'hipster' gushing over all the great shows on NBC. I personally have never heard anyone speaking in such a manner about ANY televsion show let alone an entire network. NBC needs to fire whomever came up with the idea, first; and secondly they need ot fire the NBC exec who signed off on it! Do they really think we are all such morons to buy into that crap? Oh wait, the majority of the people who watch network TV are pretty much just that, morons. 95% of the shows out there on netwrok TV are absolute crap anyway.

I've never had a radio ad affect me in this way before. I literally want to cause boldiy injury to anyone within 50' of me when they come on. Is there something subliminal in these ads? Why would it affect a person in such a way?

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

FROM: babeblue
DATE: Thursday April 27, 2006 -- 12:21:35 pm
you guys are sooooo right. i'm so glad to know i'm not the only one who finds these ads annoying to the point of wanting to drive my car into a concrete divider just to avoid listening to them. or boycotting nbc prime time (which i actually like) just to protest these stupid ads. i was so ticked after hearing one this morning on the way to work that i just had to vent. went to google and typed in "nbc + radio ads + annoying" and viola!! found this site.

did anyone else notice how all the woman does is cackle and laugh like a d@*m hyena through the whole thing? how could they POSSIBLY think that this would work? i can't wait for the program season to end just so that i can get some relief from these ads.

FROM: Mary
DATE: Thursday April 27, 2006 -- 11:35:46 pm
I am so happy to find peopel who agree with me! Those commercials are so unappealing. Everytime I hear them come on, I either turn off my radio or change the station.
Those people talking on the commericals get on my last nerve! I hate them!
Thanks for letting me share and I was glad to read everyone else's comments.

Mike April 26, 2007, 5:00 pm

those are the worst ads ever. I hate them and the people who are in them.