The Story About Ping was about a duck, not this website.

January 23rd, 2006

Ferries

When trying to get across a small body of water in a car that won’t automatically convert into a hovervehicle, there’s no better way to do it than a ferry. Drive onto a boat, the boat does the work, and you automagically pop out the other side, at your destination. Plus, in between, you can step out of your car and stretch your legs a little.

I’ve only been on a few ferries in my life. There’s a small one near where I live that I take to get into Maryland, which is kind of nice. It’s privately owned and runs from very early in the morning until very late at night. Going across the river at night is particularly pretty and one morning I spotted a bald eagle making a nest not far from the ferry’s Virginia-side loading point.

I also had to ride a ferry a number of times in Vietnam when returning to Can Tho from Saigon. Unfortunately, it was a long ride and they only had one ferry, so the one time we just missed the ferry, we were waiting for a couple of hours for the ferry to return. Hours!

Any favorite ferries in your life that you’d care to share a story about?

Posted in Miscellaneous

FROM: Aanen
DATE: Monday January 23, 2006 -- 2:13:50 pm
When I was living in Germany, we used to drive up to Kiel Germany and take the ferry to Norway to visit the family during Christmas and the summer (it was an overnight trip). I remember one Christmas when my brother was visiting, they had carmel pudding at the buffet. My brother and I had a contest to see who could eat the most.

During a different trip, my dad met one of his old friend's from school who worked for the ferry company. He introduced us to the captain and we had a tour of the bridge which was really cool.

Last time I was in Norway, I saw the ship that we used to take. It looked like they had extended the ship.

FROM: dave
DATE: Monday January 23, 2006 -- 4:19:11 pm
The ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia, Uruguay has a duty-free shop. Enough said.

FROM: COD
DATE: Tuesday January 24, 2006 -- 6:40:15 pm
White's Ferry is the only ferry I've been on.

DATE: Wednesday January 25, 2006 -- 3:24:36 am
This topic is not ferry interesting.

FROM: Steve A.
DATE: Wednesday January 25, 2006 -- 10:28:04 am
When I lived in Spain I planned a trip to go visit friends in Scotland. My route took me from Southern Spain, through Madrid, to San Sebastian (Basque country) to the ferry dock.

The ferry was an overnighter and I met quite a few folks heading back to the UK prior to Christmas. We were to pull into Plymouth (or Portsmouth - I always get them confused because I've been to both), on Christmas Eve day.

I remember the theater, if you want to call it that, was running Ghost Busters. I paid my however many pounds sterling () or pesatas (ptas) required and watched it. I laughed my heinie off.

The food, I remember, was HORRID. But they had beer and that made it all better.

I've taken other ferries in other lands... one from Naples, Italy to Ischa, Capri's lesser known sister island. I've been on personnel ferries between different places around Corsica. The one I wanted most, though, and didn't get to go on, was the ferry from a port city near Gibraltar to Africa. The weather was too rough and the 'ship didn't sail.'

Ciao,

DATE: Wednesday January 25, 2006 -- 10:43:00 am
This topic is not ferry interesting.

Groan.

FROM: Fred Farkle
DATE: Friday March 10, 2006 -- 6:12:36 pm
Back in l955 my mother drove from Florida to New York and the was a ferry from Delaware to New Jersey which I rode in l979. I rode ferries in Scandinavia with slot machines and cocktails at 8 am. Somebody explained that taxes were so high that this was the only cheap booze that those people could get. In l971 and l973 I rode the ferry across the Bosporus. It was six cents. A bargain. Good tea was served. Everywhere in Turkey they hustled tea. The Bosporus was the dividing line for Europe and Asia. Six cents and you got an intercontinental cruise! That and a lung full of diesel exhaust. If you want to know what Turkey smells like hang out at the truck stop. Bring a thermos of hot tea to go all the way. Turkey was a most marvelous place for an American college kid of 21 back then. For the cost of a trip to France one could go to Turkey.