1. Blue cheese gets its color from a mold! Penicillium roqueforti, in fact.
2. "Expiration dates" on milk, aren’t. They indicate the last day that the product can be sold.
3. When women are pregnant, they need even more of what dairy products provide, including (surprise!) calcium.
4. While milk can be frozen, the frozen substance breaks down; you can actually see the milk molecules on the surface.
5. It takes 12.5 gallons of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
6. It takes 10 gallons of milk to make one pound of cheese.
7. In 1998, California produced 612,000,000 pounds of mozzarella cheese.
8. The average cow produces 90 glasses of milk in one day.
9. Swiss cheese has holes due to the expansion of gases within the cheese curd during the ripening period.
10. Over 6,000,000,000 pounds of cheese are made in a year – that’s enough to make 40,000,000 people made of cheese. -pm
Posted in Food and Beverage