This Ping redesign took 7 years and cost $58 million in taxpayer dollars.

June 14th, 2000

The Trouble with Network Solutions

All I can say is that I’m very very pleased that there are registars other than Network Solutions for domain names.

I just got my first piece of spam from NSI in email. I had been receiving lots of junk (snail) mail from them for a few of my .coms, and just got one for my main domain which I registered back in January of 99. The email was basically offering me a special on having a site designed. "You have a great domain name – now you need a great looking design!" Eh?

Plus, there is a nifty stipulation in the contract with NSI saying that you do not own your domain name when you register with them – they do. And they have the right to yank it at any time. This is wonderfully convenient if, say, a big corporation decides that your domain is a little too close to their product’s name. The company line is probably that it’ll prevent squatting.

Then there all of the reports over the past few years of domains being available for purchase when they really aren’t, which is just scary. I’m pleased to see competition in this field. -pm

Posted in Consumer Commentary

DATE: Wednesday June 14, 2000 -- 8:43:30AM
Don't even get me started on NetSol... yeesh. I'll explain in depth once my current problem with them is handled, but let's just say that the folks there "handling" my problem must be dumb as rocks.

DATE: Wednesday June 21, 2000 -- 2:32:31PM
Got more spam from NSI yesterday - I can get a t-shirt with phonezilla.net on it. Wow. They had to email me to tell me that.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday June 21, 2000 -- 9:50:53PM
Would they expect you to pay for something like that?

DATE: Thursday June 22, 2000 -- 8:25:00AM
Robert -- Yes, and way too much for it.

In other NSI news, I had turned in a problem report a week or so ago and I got two responses to it yesterday. Both were form letters and entirely irrelevant to the letter I wrote. So I replied back:

If you could please re-read my original message below and send me something other than a form letter, I'd appreciate it. I received two form responses and neither had anything to do with my original question.

Idiots.

DATE: Thursday June 22, 2000 -- 3:47:33PM
More fun: NSI will be auctioning off unpaid domain names.

Slashdot reports on it.

I don't want a phonezilla.net t-shirt. Though I suppose I could market those. hm.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday June 22, 2000 -- 6:12:30PM
I checked out that Phonezilla site yesterday. What is that thing, some kinda second-rate Daily Ping?

DATE: Thursday June 22, 2000 -- 7:16:26PM
Yeah, phonezilla is a rip-off!

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday June 22, 2000 -- 9:46:23PM
You should get his IP address and ...
Sorry, wrong Ping.

FROM: ZInger
DATE: Wednesday March 21, 2001 -- 2:18:24AM
Network solutions is the worst operation ever. I would be amazed if there is more than one retard running this scam of a company .. I am so pissed, I dont mind spending 500 dollars for my 5 domains that I have with them to be transfered to somebody else and never have to deal with them again.

DATE: Wednesday March 21, 2001 -- 9:23:51AM
Zinger -- I can speak highly for both Domain Direct and GKG.net. Check 'em out. There is no extra charge (for GKG, at least) to transfer the domain above the normal per-year cost.

FROM: Melanie
DATE: Saturday May 11, 2002 -- 12:48:22 am
Ok WHY is this even here? it is just a bunch of guys complaining about stuff they don't like. No offense, but this is a boring page.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday May 11, 2002 -- 10:17:00 am
Melanie, your comment is pretty boring.

DATE: Saturday May 11, 2002 -- 9:09:20 pm
But she's a FreakShow014... on the dance floor...

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday May 12, 2002 -- 10:18:47 am
She's definitely no FreakShow004. Those were the days!