Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

December 11th, 2003

Annoying Christmas Ads

You all know me well. I don’t really complain very much (ahem). But one of the things that really gets me around Christmas time are the overly sappy ads that try to get you to purchase extremely expensive gifts for a sentimental reason (“You don’t love your husband/wife unless you buy them…”).

Now, I’m not one to complain about the over commercialism of Christmas… it really doesn’t bother me all that much. And I really enjoy this time of year, right down to the cheesiest of Christmas songs. But there are two ad campaigns that have driven me up the wall for the last few years.

Ad #1: Lexus. In this jackass ad, one upper class spouse gives another upper-class spouse a $35,000+ car for Christmas by giving them a key in oh-so-creative ways (like using the key for a nose on a snowman, or delivering it via a Christmas train set). The giving spouse watches with a look of “Man, I’m getting some tonight” on their face while the recipient gushes over how much they must love them to give them such an expensive gift. Meanwhile, the kids down at the orphanage weep because they didn’t receive a donation from Mr. and Mrs. Moneybags this year, again.

Ad #2: Kay Jewelers. Every kiss begins with Kay! Man I hate that tagline. In this ad, a couple is walking along a city street as a romantic snow falls around them. The man pulls out a small box and hands it to his girlfriend/fiancee/wife/hoochie mama. She opens it and over-mouths, “Oh, it’s be-YOU-tiful!” Then they ride off into the night in the back of a cab driven by, oooooh-it’s-so-creative-it-gives-me-chills, SANTA CLAUS. It’s funny because it’s Santa driving a taxi! Groan. As they pull away, they run over a homeless man as he’s leaning over to pick up the receipt on the ground that reads “Kay Jewelers.”

These two commercials evoke a Pavlovian response in me, where I start foaming at the mouth the instant I hear the background music. I start twiching violently when the key or the jewelry makes an appearance and then black out by the time the final Lexus or Kay logo is on the screen.

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 10:33:01 am
I would never want jewelry from Kay Jewelers. It's for men who don't know where to find the lovely antique or privately-owned jewler in town. Blechhhhh. I agree with you on this one.

DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 10:33:27 am
Jeweler. You knew what I meant.

DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 10:53:09 am
I like the ads in the movie "UHF".

"And what better way to say I love you than with the gift of a Spatula?"

It's no dumber than dropping $35K on a Lexus.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 11:08:59 am
Sometimes it seems like we only have chains around here, so I don't know if I could find a decent jeweler.

Loved the send up of jewelry commercials they did on Family Guy, though. You know the one I'm talking about.

FROM: Greg
DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 11:58:12 am
I personally enjoy the ads that tell me that I'm a last minute Christmas shopper on December 8th!

FROM: Marcus Mackey
DATE: Friday December 12, 2003 -- 9:45:25 am
Greg writes:

You mean you weren't done in Mid-August? ;) :D

FROM: Greg
DATE: Friday December 12, 2003 -- 12:53:27 pm
I forgot to mention the ad for a jeweler that ends every ad with...

"...and remember gentlemen, size does matter."

And this isn't a blatent attempt to get people to spend more than they can afford!?!

FROM: aharris
DATE: Wednesday December 24, 2003 -- 7:32:44 pm
I'm not sure I buy this argument. ;)

It's fine if you don't agree w/ dropping a ton of money on a car or jewelry (and I happen to agree) but it's not fair to say that having expensive things and being charitable are mutually exclusive. If that were true we'd all be living in missionary tents w/o our fancy computers.

Do you think the children at the homeless shelter are "weeping" b/c you bought a nomad instead of giving the money to them? Sure you might not think a nomad (or a fancy new computer) isn’t comparable to a $40k car but...it's all perspective. It's still a luxury and something you didn't need. You might see an expensive car or jewelry as frivolous but I grew up poor and for me just basic things (like gasp! a second car!) seemed like a luxury. ;)

So I'm not judging and I know your problem is probably more w/ the advertising than w/ the ppl in the ads. But unless we're willing to hand over every non-essential cent to charity, can we judge others?

...don't flame me...;)

FROM:
DATE: Tuesday December 30, 2003 -- 1:19:19 am
ADVERTISING IN GENERAL IS FRIVALOUS AND MIND NUMBING WE AS HUMANS NEED ABOUT 90% LESS OF ALL THE CRAP THEY ADVERTISE ANYWAY BUY LESS-LIVE MORE...

DATE: Tuesday December 30, 2003 -- 12:30:36 pm
STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

DATE: Tuesday December 30, 2003 -- 1:05:19 pm

I was wondering how long it would take someone to call me on that. All I've gotta say is, find me the people in the ads and let me ask them what they've done for their community lately. :)

FROM: William Ruffin
DATE: Tuesday November 30, 2004 -- 9:05:29 pm
Overcommercialism does suck when it comes to the homes of us the viewers. I am doing a speech on it for school and i have to persuade the class into not believing in the ads are a big fraud to the people so they spend more than they can afford, then they are in a crap load of debt. Tell me is it right or wrong that they advertise so much to the people.

FROM: Bill
DATE: Tuesday November 30, 2004 -- 9:08:24 pm
what is with the advertisement on the BClarks anniversary sale. THAT IS THE MOST ANNOYING SONG EVER!!! but it is catchy. duh dum dum dum dum da dee da dum dee dee da do da!

FROM: Sharon
DATE: Sunday December 19, 2004 -- 10:04:33 am
What is the name of the guy playing Santa driving the taxi?

FROM: Ken
DATE: Sunday December 19, 2004 -- 3:57:34 pm
Those ads i can stand. the ones i truly want to find out whoever said it was a good idea and kill are those annoying sucky lyrics old navy ones, i mean i am a teenager, i never ever wanted gloves with zebra stripes or caps with flaps. by the way leg warmers did not come back, and maybe i would rather have an orange in my stocking than a gift card to that sucky store, i also dont wea pajamas to hang out with my friends, no bady does, that is y popular teens shop at pac sun or prep stores. ugh i dont mean to offend anyone, but if you ever chose to like one of those commercials just die! oh yea and did u ever see the pop tart commercial with stick figures like talking wierd? well the only good one was the genie one, the kangaroo one sucked and so did the one when he ran around screaming.

FROM: Jason Kosby
DATE: Wednesday August 17, 2005 -- 8:55:39 pm
I know someone has seen this Kay Jewelry commercial out there, the one where a couple are in Rome and the man makes a fool of himself and give his girlfriend a ring. My question is does anyone remember the name of the song that plays with that commercial?

FROM: random civilian
DATE: Monday September 5, 2005 -- 9:33:49 pm
hah, I know what you guys are talking about. Some of those commercials get freaken annoying. Especially 800-5-8-8-2-300 EMPIRE!!!!

FROM: Donna
DATE: Tuesday December 13, 2005 -- 7:12:34 pm

DATE: Tuesday December 13, 2005 -- 7:25:26 pm
I actually cursed at a Kay Jewlers commercial tonight.

FROM: Sarah
DATE: Tuesday December 13, 2005 -- 7:28:09 pm
Pretty much all ads are annoying. Unless they have some sort of joke that doesn't make me want to kill myself.
Oh, and Ken? Personally, I think you should find something else to do than follow "what all the popular kids are doing," such as shopping at Pac Sun. I like Pac Sun way more than Old Navy, but seriously, you sound like a poser. "All the popular kids shop here..." blah blah blah, don't you have something more exciting to do than figure out what they're doing? Yeesh...

FROM: Visser One
DATE: Wednesday December 14, 2005 -- 1:32:16 am
"I hate that Lexus commercial. Like normal everyday people would do that. The normal everyday working class person would help the homeless or the children who don't have "Christmas" in their home. The upper class just help themselves. Shame on them. How do they sleep at night."

Yeah, normal people probably wouln't do that because they couldn't afford it. But don't assume working class ppl would help anyone. Everyone who's not at the top of the social ladder wants to move up. When's the last time you heard a working class person say "I'm saving up to donate to my local charity"? No, instead it's "I'm saving up to buy a house/car'college education for my kid, etc. There's nothing wrong with wanting things for yourself, and if the upper class wants to blow $ on luxuries, then it's their choice. They probably could help more, but who are you to dictate to someone else what they should do? No offense, but the holier-than-thou attitude just makes you sound like a pompous jackass.

Jim January 4, 2011, 6:31 am

By far, the worst, and still being aired (Jan 3rd) is the Honda ‘Holiday’ song by Vampire Weekend ! Death to that band, for sure. It is still on every station every 15 min as well as every radio station every 10 min. I do not think Honda can sell that many cars to pay for all of the airtime.