Apple did not consult with us when they named Ping, Ping.

January 5th, 2004

Superdupersonic Toothbrushes

A few weeks ago I complained about how the Dawn Power Brush was strictly for the lazy. But Huyen and I both received another item that could be argued is for the lazy: the sonic toothbrush. Now, these are far from new at this point and I’d venture to guess that a number of Pingers own them. I might even give you that they are better than regular brushing because they vibrate 8 million times every second (or something like that). But there’s one thing I can’t get over after having used it for a few days: how ticklish I am on the upper-front part of my mouth. The vibrating toothbrush and its supersonic motion always have me giggling when I get to that portion of my mouth.

Anyone else have this problem?

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 10:37:21 am
We have sonic toothbrushes for the whole family. There is absolutely no doubt that dental cleanings are quicker and easier after using it regularly. It's not a matter of lazy - you just can't brush by hand as well as that thing can.

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 10:52:18 am
That's good to hear, Chris... I had read some differing opinions on the matter and wasn't quite sure what to think about its value.

FROM: aharris
DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 3:04:18 pm
I have a sonic too and after using it for a while I've switched back to my analog toothbrush (analog, that's the right word, right ;)

The amount of drool when using that thing is incredible. Am I alone? :) Maybe the vibrations...stimulate drool or something but I noticed a major increase.

And actually, they did studies that say that electric toothbrushes aren't any more effective than regular ones. But the main difference is that 1)the timers make sure you brush for the right amount of time and 2)ppl like the way they feel so they're more likely to brush.

Maybe I'll fire up my Sonic...for ole times sake. ;)

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 4:32:47 pm
At the risk of grossing everyone out by revealing details concerning my poor dental health, I will tell all who hear, the Sonicare saved my mouth. I, too, was given one as a gift. I, too, noticed the drool problem, suffered the acute ticklishness, and also felt a bit insecure that to use such a device provided negative commentary as to my work ethic. As such, I put the darned thing away for over a year and went to my analog toothbrush.

I had always brushed and flossed regularly. I also rinse with peroxide. I, however, was never very good about going to the dentist because I was scared--not of physical pain, but the bill.

Eventually, I noticed that I began to bleed when I flossed and the problem kept getting worse, no matter what I did.

I broke out the ol' Sonicare again and worked through the tickle, the drool, and my doubts about my work ethic. The ticklishness eventually went away completely, as well as the drool (by the way, you are not supposed to wet the bristles after applying the toothpaste). After about six weeks I could floss again without drawing blood. Since this improvement never would have occurred with the analog brush, my pride in my work ethic (as I write this note on the clock) remained intact.

I also noticed that my gums turned a bright healthy pepto-bismol pink (It's not like they were red in comparison beforehand, but the change in color, in retrospect, was dramatic) and I also noticed that my gums must have been swollen beforehand because I suddenly had stains at the gum line which must have been under the gum line before. The stains became revealed when the swelling receded--the stains, eventually, were also swept away by the mighty machine.

Also, the Sonic removes plaque. One day while brushing this chunk flew off of a problem area on the back of the teeth. It was amazing. I told all my friends.

I finally went to the dentist about two weeks ago because I finally got a job with benefits. He didn't have to spend much time cleaning and he commented on how nice my teeth were for someone who hadn't been to the dentist for a cleaning in about fifteen years (since my parents' coverage ran out). The only work that needs to be done is one filling needs to be replaced because it wore out. No cavities.

If he only saw my teeth before the Sonic, he would have called for a wrecking ball.

The only bad thing about the Sonic is mine is now dead. It won't recharge anymore. The new ones don't seem as powerful, either. I bought my Mom one and tried it. It didn't seem to have half the power of mine--I think they may have adjusted it to help more people who shied away because of the tickle issue.

I'll either have to replace the whole thing or try to find a Ni-Cad battery that I can get in there somehow.

Happy Brushing!

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 4:35:59 pm
Lest people think I gave my Mom a toothbrush that I had already used, let me clarify. I tried my Mom's Sonic with my Sonic brush head on it, when I visited for Christmas one year.

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 4:49:28 pm
Joseph: One day while brushing this chunk flew off of a problem area on the back of the teeth. It was amazing. I told all my friends.

I've got to say that this is my favorite comment on the Ping so far this year. Great job.

FROM: aharris
DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 5:18:09 pm

yes! It's catching on, Joseph used the phrase "analog toothbrush" too. I think I've started something...;)

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 5:40:34 pm
you are not supposed to wet the bristles after applying the toothpaste

Good tip! Perhaps that will help the drool problem (I'm very glad to hear I'm not the only messy Sonic-brusher here).

Agreed!

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 8:32:48 pm
I got one at the urging of my dentist. I bet he has a contract with the manufacturer where he gets some loot for how many he can push. Anyway, I think it works good, but I hate the fact that you still dispose of part of it like regular toothbrushes.

DATE: Monday January 5, 2004 -- 9:17:32 pm
Good point.

FROM: Ace High
DATE: Wednesday January 7, 2004 -- 12:35:54 am
Didn't the main charcter on Doctor Who have something called a sonic screwdriver? Is this anything like that?