Because of my background, I consider it my duty to watch things like VH1′s The White Rapper Show. Most people wouldn’t bother, and that’s probably a good idea, but I’ll give you a quick, bulleted list of some thoughts I have about the show:
- MC Serch is the perfect host for this show
- Dropping 10 white kids into a place in the middle of the Bronx to live? Brilliant.
- The rappers themselves are terrible. Most come from the “club banger” mentality and spit like any other commercial emcee. A few occasionally shine with a solid verse (Persia, in particular).
- Guest stars that have been awesome: Prince Paul, Kool Keith, and Bushwick Bill
- Guest stars that I could have done without: Juelz Santana, Marc Ecko, Just Blaze
- There’s not enough day-to-day stuff shown. Do these guys ever go out on their own to go get something at the corner store?
- Serch’s catchphrases still make me laugh, even halfway through the season
- If I hear “hallelujah holla back” one more time…
I await your input.
Posted in Television, Movies, and Music