Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

May 23rd, 2003

Jackasses of the Month: PrincetonDisc.com

The winners of the Ping’s Jackasses of the Month Award for May are the folks at PrincetonDisc.com. Not only are they spammers, they’re technically inept.

They started with frequent spamming to a general info@ account at my work, meaning a host of people get it. I can guarantee no one ever asked to be on the list. That alone elevates them to Prince of Jackasses.

What pushes them to King, though, is the fact that their spam list was contained as part of an internal address @princedisc.com. So, when people that received the spam started replying, they ended up doing a reply-to-all and included the entire spam list in their reply. All day yesterday I (and who-knows-how-many-thousands-of-others) received business inquiries, “please remove me” requests, and people responding to other people’s response saying “I AM NOT PRINCETON DISC!” The assholes at Princeton Disc are spammers and technological idiots at the same time. It’s a deadly combination.

I also nominate every dumb ass who replied to the original message for Co-Jackass of the Month. I say that “Reply-to-all” must be removed from all e-mail programs because clearly, there are just too many people that can’t handle it.

Posted in Consumer Commentary

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Friday May 23, 2003 -- 2:25:49 am
you need something better to do!

FROM: Mike [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday May 23, 2003 -- 11:20:13 am
They're Hiring! Spam their HR department at: hr@princetondisc.com

FROM: aharris
DATE: Friday May 23, 2003 -- 12:33:30 pm
Preach on. I HATE it when ppl do that.

Another [email] thing I hate: ppl who send outrageously large emails and then choose the "HTML" format so that they can put their all cap messages in bold and red text. Argh! Then...of course someone will "reply all" to this message (also in HTML format) and include the long email in their reply. Double Argh!

Have some mercy for those of us using Yahoo! Mail. Limited space ppl, limited space...

FROM: Dan
DATE: Friday May 23, 2003 -- 2:57:14 pm
Yeah, thats rich!
Personally, I love getting spams from companies who offer Anti-Spam software. Kinda like hearing that sales "pitch" about window pane insurance from the mob...woot..

FROM: dave
DATE: Friday May 23, 2003 -- 4:05:30 pm
Reply To All crashed the email servers at my job a couple years ago...the primary culprit was people replying to all with messages saying something like "Please do not use the Reply To All function when responding to an email sent to the global list."

DATE: Tuesday May 27, 2003 -- 9:30:26 pm
towinlovinit -- you should know by now that we don't have anything better to do here at the Ping! :)