Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

August 2nd, 2003

Age Guessing

If there is one thing I’m bad at, it’s guessing someone’s age.

Years ago, it seemed that everyone I knew was right around my age. Then I started meeting people in college who were slightly older, lots older, and lots younger. Today I deal with such a wide range of people, I barely know how old I am anymore. And that’s confusing – for instance, did you know that Ryan is really a 62-year-old?

I’m sure that there’s at least one Pinger out there, though, who is keen at guessing ages and could even guess mine (although, admittedly, that’s not difficult to do.) I’d like some advice, as well. I look at faces, eyes, and I say, “You’re 20!” no matter how old someone is. Maybe it’s my technique?

Posted in Everyday Life

DATE: Saturday August 2, 2003 -- 4:28:48 am
Don't look here..if I were working at a carnival as the age/weight guesser, I would be fired within an hour...that is, if I didn't get killed by a fat woman after overguessing by 100 pounds.

Oh great ladies of the Ping: Why are so many of your gender offended when we ask/guess your age? Seriously, guys will always tell and not think twice, but it is somehow bad etiquette to ask a woman her age..I never understood that..

FROM: Chris
DATE: Saturday August 2, 2003 -- 9:08:14 am
The easy solution whe guessing age weight of a woman.

Expected age - 10 = what you say
Expected weight - 25 = what you say

DATE: Saturday August 2, 2003 -- 9:51:02 am
I think you are 29. But then we don't know when you last went up in the Space Shuttle!

People guess me to be 6 to 10 years younger than I am. And I am honest about my weight. If you feel the need to lie, than you should feel the need to change it to the weight you claim to be.

FROM: courtney
DATE: Saturday August 2, 2003 -- 2:26:15 pm
I'm 24, and people are always guessing me to be as young as 17. I'm hoping this applies later in life, but right now it's annoying. People don't take me seriously since they assume me to be so young.

As for weight, even my own doctor can't figure mine. She sees people naked every day of her life and checks their weight. You'd think she would be able to guess weight after a while, but I apparently always surprise her by weighing more than she thinks I do. Since she's a doctor, I don't really think she's lying to me to be nice.

I don't know anyone who is good at guessing age or weight. Whenever I'm asked to approximate someone's age, I always provide at least a twenty year range.

FROM: Jesus [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday August 2, 2003 -- 10:23:45 pm
I'm 22, but sometimes people think I'm 9!

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday August 3, 2003 -- 2:48:06 pm
Oh yeah. I'm horrible at guessing people's ages. To me, any teenager could be 19 or 15 or whatever and anyone older than me could be between 35 and 65. I'm just bad at it. I could never be a cop.

DATE: Sunday August 3, 2003 -- 3:43:01 pm
Dave, in answer to your Q, we live in a society that pressures women to be perfect in appearance. Women feel that they lose "value" if they are aging. Why is it that no one would comment about their uncle's beer gut but if a woman puts on 30 lbs, people whisper? Look at Marilyn Monroe; she would be too fat to be a super-model today. Ideals have changed, and women, both young and old, feel pressure to live up to these difficult-to-reach goals.

When I was in college, I had a relative who was a majorette, and she's gorgeous. Yet each week during football season they had to weigh in, because at 5'4", she could not weigh over 120 lbs and perform.

FROM: Kate
DATE: Monday August 4, 2003 -- 1:29:36 am
Since I'm bad at ages, I usually just say if they're older or younger than I am. Of course, since I'm 19, most people fall into the first category.

As for lying about my age/weight, I don't. It's just a fact, after all.

FROM: Person
DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:59:33 am
Does anyone have any tips for guessing ages and weights? I'm working as fool the guesser, it's my first time and I was wondering If I can get some tips, thank you.