Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

December 31st, 2003

When will we be famous?

Last night I dreamt that Pinger Greg wrote an article for my alma mater’s paper about the Daily Ping. It was the front page story and featured a history of the Ping and highlighted various Ping “moments.” I was pleasantly surprised by the article because I didn’t know one was being written.

This got me to thinking: the Ping’s been around for a while now. A long while, really. And in that time, we’ve never gotten any press in a print publication. Paul and I have both have had sites mentioned in various papers, but the Ping has remained under the radar of most journalists. When will that change? Will 2004 be the year that the New York Times sends Jayson Blair to do a story on us?

I am pleased, though, that Dave Walls has discussed the Ping on the radio on a few occasions. At least one medium outside of the web has some love for us.

Posted in Miscellaneous

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 9:52:24 am
ODonnellWeb got mentioned in a British research paper

Not only am I famous, I'm internationally famous :)

ANyway, you are spinning this all wrong. Think like an elitist. The Intenet hordes would never understand the Ping. It's above them all. Us Pingers are special :)

FROM: Alex
DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 10:09:37 am
And you want fame WHY? Don't get me wrong, I have become a recent fan of the Ping and stop by every day to see what the discussion is about. But why would your dreams of grandure ensure reviews would be shed in a positive light? Now, negative publicity is still publicity, however publicity can be a pain in the @$$. How about this, just so you'll fell more famous, I'll mention your site to 10 of my friends and ask that they do the same. Now, that's fame.

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 10:17:54 am

Wait... the Ping mentioned in a negative light? Unless someone were anti-Oreo, I can't imagine the situation! After all, we're perfect!

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 10:19:28 am
2004 better be the year, or we're going to have to keep doing this until 2006! (Although we'll do that anyway.)

I wouldn't mind some money for doing the Ping. Or Oreos. Maybe Oreos would be better.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 10:27:37 am
I hope that 2004 is at least the year where tow truck drivers learn to love the Ping.

And people learn that Ryan isn't Maury Povich.

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 12:18:15 pm
It's funny, between a few friends of mine, who are Ping readers, the term "Ping-ish" has come into our vocabulary, as a way of describing something as random.

i.e.: "That was an awfully Pingish comment, wouldn't you say?"

As far as fame goes, there's the downside, but the groupies and drugs make up for it!...at least, so I've heard.

Just get Nabisco to sponsor the site one day so we can all get some free Oreos, and you can call the Mission Accomplished.

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 12:22:26 pm
Speaking of popularity, Ryan, did you ever get your hands on that newspaper article you were featured in? The one that I tried to get my hands on, but couldn't get down to Dover in time?

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 1:18:46 pm
Dave --

Nabisco will never sponsor our site, I'm quite sure.

And, no, I never did get a copy of the newspaper. The guy that wrote the article told me two different times he was going to send it to me, but he never followed through.

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 1:42:07 pm
ROB!!!!!!!............I L O V E........THE PING! I HUG THE PING! I DREAM OF THE PING! I CAN'T GET THROUGH THE DAY WITHOUT THE PING! THERE IS NOTHING BETTER TO READ THAN THE PING!.......................and I am a Professional Tow Operator.

DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 3:41:43 pm
I don't think I want us to be famous; we'll lose that small-town charm if we gain fame.

Happy New Year!!

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday December 31, 2003 -- 5:15:20 pm
How many more Pings do you want to go into Jackass mode? Cuz that's what you'd get.

FROM: Greg
DATE: Friday January 2, 2004 -- 1:43:32 pm
What did I have to say Ryan?

You're wife not jealous that you're dreaming of me and not her, is she?